Monday, May 26, 2008

Problems with Purla

So I've started to knit my first pair of wrist warmers out of a Panda brand yarn called "purla".  I bought this yarn from Kmart for really cheap - it's Acrylic, alpaca and polyester or something.  It was so soft and lovely looking I just had to buy it - even if it is mainly synthetic, I figured the fact that it had some alpaca in it made up for the fake stuff.  I thought maybe I would make both wrist warmers and a matching scarf.  

 Problem is, I didn't do the "neck test."  This is where you gently hold the yarn against your neck under your chin to see how soft it really is.  It wasn't until yesterday when Joey saw me working on it that she told me that was the nasty stuff she had tried to make a scarf out of.  I held it to my neck and .... AAAGGHHH!!!  it is so deceptive.  lovely and soft to touch with your hands but when you hold it to your neck it's like rubbing a prickly pear fruit there.  Ouch!  

So I guess I won't be making a matching scarf with it.  It seems to be ok on the soft inside of my wrists though, so I will persevere with it and once the first wrist warmer is a certain size, I will put it on and wear it for a while and see how we go.   

The other small problem is that this yarn is not spun tightly - which helps it to be soft- however when working with DPN's this means that it has a tendency to split a lot while I am trying to knit it.   But again, I shall persevere as it really is pretty and as I am just trying something new, so it is best to use something in my stash that I probably won't be using for anything else.  

So, if using purla - great - just don't knit anything you might want to put around or near your neck!  

Love peace and joy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah, i figure purla isn't bad if it's not against the neck. so how back can wristies bits be? and if you get cranky and need to strangle someone, do so while wearing the purla wristie things. add a touch of scratch.