Monday, May 19, 2008

Sorting Stash & dying

When I told hubby I had gotten onto Ravelry - he just rolled his eyes, but now I think he will be pleased.  You see, for the past 6 months or more (ok, it might be 12), the area in our house allocated for my stuff and stash has been a VERY big mess.  we're talking you couldn't see the floor AT ALL.  But now that I am on Ravelry, I want to list at least most of my stash and my projects.  But for me to do that, I need to sort out my stash,  and to sort out my stash I need to tidy up my area.   Today I started doing that - and have actually managed to put a fairly large dint in the mess as well as take notes and photos of a fair amount of my stuff.  So this afternoon when Lach comes home and goes to collapse in front of the TV, he will look at the other end of the room and actually see some floor!  Maybe I might even get a smile from him about it, but I doubt it.  I'll probably just get an "It's about time!!"    I hope to start listing my stash items onto Ravelry tomorrow morning. 

 I found during my sorting that I have an awful lot of Crap, but I also found some stuff I didn't realise I had - like, can you believe it - 2 and a half balls of Biggen Design Yarn!!!! Whoo hoo!! That saves me over 19 bucks right there.   I was planning to get at least 4 or 5 more balls, but now I should only have to get 2 or maybe 3.   

I was hoping to finish knitting the sleeves for my top by Wednesday night but that is not going to happen now as I have not even picked up my needles since last Wednesday night.  You see, the next major project I have planned is a jumper made out of the superfine merino I spun last year. It was white though, so this past week I have been dying it.  

 I first dyed it purple (violet), but as my dye pot sprung a leak and all kinds of other things went wrong with the dying process, it didn't quite turn out the dark purple I wanted it to.  it just turned a lightish purple - kind of mottled.   That was not what I was wanting.  But then I saw that I still had a couple of pots of pink dye in amongst my stash, so I thought "Why not?"   I found another pot I could use, fired up the portable gas stove and overdyed the purple wool with the pink dye.  It has come out a great colour!  Still more purple than pink, but quite close to fushia.  My favorite colour.  

With all this dying and heating and washing though, the strands in the skeins had started to felt together.   So for the rest of the past week I have been patiently pulling the strands apart and re-skeining.   This has taken ages and I'm not finished yet.  Thanks Pam for the loan of the better niddy-noddy and swift!   It has made things a little easier - certainly better than trying to use the backs of chairs like I was doing!  

Right - the boys will be home in the next hour, so I better get back to the washing, tidying and sorting.  

Love peace and joy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you were 2 skeins away from being on ACA or Today Tonight:
KNITTERS WHO DROWN IN STASH AND THE MEN WHO SUFFER WITH THEM.

Jenny said...

LOL
I felt like I was going to drown when I started, that's for sure!! Oh, and Lachlan's reaction wasn't a smile or even an "it's about time!". It was better - an "OH SHIT!!"
I think he thought i must have gone insane or something. But he was quite impressed. I had actually fully finished tidying up by the time he got home - except for vacuuming. WHOO HOO.