Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Domestic Goddess..... Well maybe not quite

Today I am feeling rather "domestic goddess" like.  Yesterday I made my second batch of jam ever (the first being a tiny amount monday week ago).  I made apple and lillypilly jam - the lillypillies coming from my own garden - whoo hoo!  It was again a small batch - about half a jar worth or so, but it worked out beautifully - not too hard and not too runny.  Very proud of myself.  

On Monday I made some more Chocolate Slice - and this time I remembered the sugar.  Again, it worked out great!   

Today I am finally getting some washing done (it has been pouring with rain the last couple of days - which has been great but not good for getting clothes dried), I'm tidying up the house and I think I will attempt to make some Apricot Balls with Sweetened condensed Skim milk.  I wonder if the skim will be too thin to hold them together?  I hope not as I can't eat the full fat stuff. 

So why all the sudden domestics? I don't know.  Just feel like it.  Am I becoming an old fart? Have I officially crossed that line? Well, I can either think of myself as an old ditty in the kitchen or I can think of myself as a Nigella Lawson type - domestic goddess, queen of making house work, cooking and craft sensual.  Even though I don't like that woman and don't think of her as that sexy or sensual, its a nice idea.  I think I'll take the Nigella over the old fart anyday. 

Rory is home from school today too, so I am being mum as well.  He was looking very tired and burst into tears at the slightest thing this morning, so I decided to listen to my instinct and keep him home.  Last time I didn't there was hell to pay at school and I was rung up to bring him home.  I didn't want that to happen today.  I'm glad I did as within half an hour of deciding to keep him home, his eyes got red and itchy, glazed and he started sniffing a lot. So, lots of resting today for Rory.   

Oh, I have finished one wrist warmer - quite a crappy job done of it too.  But as I said in my last post, it is just more for technique sake and using up the yarn.  The Purla seems to be fine on my wrist so I am working on the second warmer now.  Hopefully it will look a bit better.  I'm going to blame the yarn for the mess - I know I have a lot of trouble keeping my tension right, especially on DPN's, but really, I can't be THAT bad can I?....... don't answer that. 

Right, now to those apricot balls and anything else I decide to whip up.

Love peace and joy 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't know apricots had 'em.

Anonymous said...

Good post.